Montana Shakespeare in the Schools
Hamlet and Laertes from HamletSchedule for Tour2017 Twelfth Night Poster2017 Twelfth Night Study Guide
From the Page to the StageAlthough Montana Shakespeare in the Parks has been playing to outdoor audiences in the summer all over Montana, northern Wyoming, southern Idaho, western North Dakota, and eastern Washington since 1973, we are equally proud of the progress our first educational outreach program has made since the first fall tour in 1993. In less than a decade, we have grown from a two-actor tour that performed scenes with very limited costumes and scenery to an eight-member professional company that performs a 75-minute production of a complete Shakespearean play complete with ornate costumes and scenery along with a Q&A session between the actors and students and a full complement of workshops following the performance. This fall marks the 25th season that this unique touring program will bring a live Shakespearean play and workshops directly to middle schools and high schools. Of the 48 schools visited last year, the company performed on or near four of Montana’s seven Indian reservations and nearly 30% of the schools were located in communities with a population of less than 1,000; the smallest being Hobson, MT: population 220.
Fall 2017: Twelfth NightIn the fall of 2017, Shakespeare in the Schools will bring Twelfth Night to almost 50 schools. Marti Lyons will direct the play, exploring themes that resonate with the young adult audience such as falling in love with one's nature--more than their form or status, and that only while identities are hidden may one's true self emerge. If you are interested in bringing Shakespeare in the Schools' Twelfth Night to your school in 2017, contact Susan Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Survey Says: Hamlet Receives Rave ReviewsWe asked teachers and students what they thought of the 2016 production of Hamlet and workshops, and they responded. Here's what they're saying.
List of Plays Through the Years
Auditions for Shakespeare in the Schools
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Montana Shakespeare in the Parks (MSIP) Acting Company.
**CASTING IS COMPLETE FOR THE 2017 TOUR!**
If time and schedules permit, private auditions in Bozeman can be arranged at any time by contacting our office (406) 994-3903 or we will accept recorded audition pieces. You may either submit a DVD or post your audition to YouTube and provide us with a link. The deadline for videoed applications is Friday, January 22, 2016.
Auditions should include two contrasting Shakespearean monologues – and should not exceed 3 minutes total.
Ability to play musical instruments and/or sing is highly desired. Our Shakes! and Schools tours are particularly interested in hiring actors with teaching experience and those with interest and ability to be effective teaching artists as well as actors.
ABOUT MONTANA SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARKS’ PROGRAMS
Shakespeare in the Parks (in its 45th season) employs 10 actors for a 15-week summer season that includes rehearsals and a multi-state tour in Montana, northern Wyoming, Eastern Idaho, western North Dakota and eastern Washington. Two plays rehearse for five weeks starting in late May and then tour the region for a ten-week period ending in early September. The 2017 season will present Macbeth, directed by Kevin Asselin and You Never Can Tell, directed by William Brown. Starting salaries are $400/week plus room and board allowance while on tour. Housing in Bozeman is also provided.
Shakespeare in the Schools (in its 25th season) employs 8 actors for a 10-week fall season that includes rehearsals and a multi-state tour in Montana and northern Wyoming. The 2017 season will present Twelfth Night. We are particularly looking for actor/educators who have the experience, interest and ability to be effective teachers as well as actors. The play rehearses for three weeks starting in mid-September and then tours the region for a ten-week period ending in mid-December. Starting salaries are $420/week plus room and board allowance while on tour. Housing in Bozeman is also provided.
See more photos
How Does This Work?Shakespeare in the Schools only charges schools 25% of the actual cost of keeping the program on the road. The other 75% is made up through a combination of grants and individual donations. School administrations most often cover the fee, but oftentimes parent-teacher organizations or community groups help to pay for part or all of the program. If there is a school in your community that you feel would benefit from the Shakespeare in the Schools program, please contact Susan Miller, Managing Director at email@example.com for more information on how you can help bring the program in.
What Teachers and Students Are Saying About Shakespeare in the Schools
Fun Facts from the 2011 SIS Tour - As You Like It
Archive Photos - Shakespeare in the Schools
Elise Event 2016